Golf is such a great game. In the words of Bagger Vance, it’s a game that “can’t be won, only played.” It always amazes me that sometimes you can prepare to the best of your ability - you can stretch and practice and feel great on the range - but the second you start your round, you completely forget how to play the game. Then there are the opposite times - when you just wake up, roll out of bed, and step onto the golf course and play fantastic. It’s such a weirdly beautiful game. But through it all - it’s a game that can’t be won - we can’t beat the game - you can only play it.
In our first reading today from Isaiah, God prepares His vineyard to the best of His ability. He’s planted the best crops, built a watchtower to protect it - and it is time for the harvest. He expects the best result because He has put in the prep time. But what He gets instead are wild grapes - good for nothing. And just like us golfers out there, when we put in the work and don’t get the desired result - we want to tear down what we have put in the work for......so, too, God wants to destroy the vineyard. But He doesn’t. He is patient with us. He is merciful. He knows that the seeds that He has sown in His vineyard sometimes produce great fruit and other times terrible fruit. We are sinful - we are weak. We can’t always produce good fruit because of this truth. We are not God. We can only humble ourselves before Him, and pray that with the prep-work (grace) God has put into us, we will yield good fruit.
A Few Updates:
1. Thank you to Sister Diane and all who helped with Confirmation last weekend. It went beautifully. Congratulations to all of our Confirmandi. Remember you are “sealed” with the gift of the Holy Spirit - that you have been branded by Christ and belong to Him - you have a special place in this family of faith.
Keep our young ones in prayer in the coming weeks who will be receiving Jesus in the most Blessed Sacrament on October 17th.
2. We hope to have live-streaming capabilities installed by the 17th, to allow all of us to pray with our First Holy Communion class.
3. Weekly Watering sign-up to keep our new planters and plantings flourishing is available.
We're using SignUp.com.
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our SignUp on SignUp.com: https://signup.com/go/ypXRLsY
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact Mary Pat at email@example.com and I can sign you up manually.
4. We are in need of high school volunteers to assist with live-streaming our weekend Masses. Contact Mary Pat in the rectory office to volunteer, firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-539-5572.
Thank you for your continued support of our Parish. May the Lord give you His peace.